The following rules can help prevent misuse of prescription medications:
- Keep your doctor informed about all the medications you take, including over-the-counter drugs.
- Take your medication only as prescribed.
- Read the information provided by your pharmacist before taking your medications.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist about your medication, especially if you are unsure about its effects.
- When using medications that have the potential for abuse, throw away any unused pills once the condition for which they were prescribed resolves.