There are 2 very good stretches for the shoulder muscles. They are the latissimus dorsi stretch and the pectoral stretch. These two stretches stretch back muscles and chest muscles and will also target rotator cuff muscles. Here is how to perform these stretches:
Static Latissimus Dorsi Ball Stretch
- Kneel in front of a stability ball.
- Place one arm on ball, with thumb pointed straight up in the air.
- Draw navel inward
- Slight round your back
- Slowly reach the arm straight out by rolling the ball forward.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Switch sides and repeat
- If this stretch causes any pinching in the shoulder, perform the stretch with the palm down on the ball.
- To increase the stretch, move the arm slightly across the body slightly.