Question

Stress

How can stress be managed effectively?

• AMichael T. Murray, Naturopathic Medicine, answered

Develop a positive way to manage stress. Let's face it: everyday stress is a normal part of modern living. Job pressures, family arguments, financial pressures, traffic, and time management are just a few of the stressors we face on a daily basis. Whether you are aware of it or not, you have developed a pattern for coping with stress. Unfortunately, most people have found patterns and methods that do not support good health. These include negative patterns such as overeating, uncontrolled emotional outbursts, feelings of helplessness, having a cocktail or beer, or smoking a cigarette. It is important for you to identify any negative pattern and replace it with positive ways of coping. I believe that effective stress management involves four equally important areas:

Techniques to calm the mind and promote a positive mental attitude. Following a healthy lifestyle, including regular physical exercise. Eating a healthful diet. Utilizing key dietary and botanical supplements that can improve the ability to deal with stress.
How can I best manage my time to reduce stress?