When you are snow skiing, your ankles are in a rigid boot that will provide support. Strengthening of the core (back and abdomen) and your legs will be beneficial for skiing.
Things to work on when you are in a safe environment are:
- Balance - work on standing on one foot at a time while not looking at your feet. Have something to hang onto in case you start to tip or fall.
- As you progress with your balance, work on standing on one foot with your eyes closed. Be sure to have something to hang onto in case of tipping or falling. You do not want to injure yourself.
- Leg strength - work with increasing your quadriceps and hamstring strength.
- Cardiovascular - you will need to increase your ability to exercise for longer periods of time, so starting out with some light treadmill activity can be helpful
- Core - check with a certified fitness expert for appropriate exercises for you and your back.
Prior to starting any exercise/training program, be sure to consult with your healthcare provider and seek out your resources.