Question

Special Diets

What wheat ingredients can I eat on the FODMAP elimination diet?

• APatsy Catsos, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb.

These ingredients and descriptions are allowed:

• Wheat-derived minor ingredients such as wheat starch, maltodextrin and dextrose
    • Gluten-free foods. Gluten-free claims on food labels may help you quickly identify wheat-free foods (although, as you know, gluten is not the part of wheat that you are avoiding). You should still read the label to check for the presence of other problem ingredients.
    • Foods "produced in a facility that also makes products containing wheat." A trace of wheat in a product is not enough to cause problems with this diet.
What ingredients should I avoid on the FODMAP elimination diet?