Question

Special Diets

What meat and dairy products can I eat on the FODMAP elimination diet?

• APatsy Catsos, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb.

Protein is the major dietary contribution of foods in the meat and dairy products group, including meat, fish, poultry, milk and milk products. If beans and lentils were a part of the basic FODMAPS diet, they would appear in this group as well. However, note there are no beans, dried peas or lentils on the allowed list for the basic diet, because they contain large amounts of galactans.

Some dairy products contain large amounts of lactose and are not allowed on the basic diet. Lactaid brand milk and milk products have been specially treated before packaging and are 100 percent lactose free; therefore Lactaid brand milk products are allowed on the basic diet. Other brands of lactase-treated milk may also be available in supermarkets in your area, and are encouraged on the basic diet as a source of protein, calcium and other nutrients. Dairy foods allowed on the basic diet contain 2 grams of lactose or less per serving.

Meat, fish and poultry without added ingredients do not contain FODMAPS.
What fruit products should I avoid on the FODMAP elimination diet?