Question

Snacking and Weight Loss

Can I lose weight by eating protein bars?

• ALisa Lynn, Fitness, answered
    Let's be honest here, most of us eat protein bars not only because they are convenient, but because we hope that they will help us lose weight. These bars were designed with endurance athletes in mind. Because they are portable and high in carbs, they are the perfect food for endurance events lasting more than 2 hours. They keep athletes from "hitting the wall" by providing nutrients that the body needs while exercising. Additionally, they are easy to snack on while training. The reality is that most people do not need extra carbohydrates while they exercise. In fact, the reason why we exercise is to burn off extra carbohydrates so that they won't be stored as fat.
  • ARuth Frechman, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
    Eating a protein bar for a meal can be an effective way to lose weight, because you are controlling the amount of calories consumed. Bars are easy to carry with you. On the negative side the bars tend to be expensive, and some people may not like the taste. Overall, it's about the total amount of calories that you eat in a day. A protein bar can be used as a meal replacement. However, you don't only want to eat protein bars. Your body needs balance. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are important sources of nutrients and need to be included in your diet.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Can eating candy pieces instead of candy bars help me lose weight?