Question

Sleep Disorders

What herbal sleep aids are available?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Try taking 300 milligrams valerian root if you have trouble sleeping. It contains ingredients with sedative properties. While the science isn't conclusive, it's generally considered one of the more effective herbal therapies for sleep.

Studies have shown that the ingredients in ginseng help decrease the amount of wakefulness in a 12-hour period and increase the amount of slow-wave sleep. Try taking 200 to 600 milligrams of the extract.
  • AMichael Breus, PhD, Psychology, answered
    Valarian Tea

There are more than 100 herbal remedies and supplements that are advertised as being able to help with better sleeping. However, there is very little data on many of them. Here are the few that do have consistent, scientific data that I trust: 

Valerian Root
    Hopps
    Camomile
    Lavendar

Valarian Tea
    Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • ADavid Hoffmann, Integrative Medicine, answered on behalf of Traditional Medicinals

Pillows filled with herbs are a long-standing remedy to facilitate a good night’s sleep. The herbs may be a combination or a single herb. Traditionally used herbs include chamomile, catnip, hops, lavender, lemon balm, linden flower and woodruff.

They are easy to make. Make a pillowcase lining out of linen, leaving it open at one end. Make up the herb stuffing by mixing dried herbs in the following proportions:

2 to 3 handfuls each of lemon balm and chamomile,

1 to 2 handfuls each of lavender, rosemary and woodruff,

1 to 2 tablespoons of valerian.

Fill the pillowcase loosely with the herbs, sew close, and put inside a soft, pretty pillowcase before use. Many herbal combinations are possible. This is a good place to experiment and find the combination and aroma that best suits you.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What should I do if I have a sleep problem?