Question

Sleep Basics

What can I do to make it easier to wake up in the morning?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Waking up in Morning

Do you hit the snooze bar because you can't wake up in the morning?

Watch the video to find out from Dr. Oz what you can do to make it easier to wake up in the morning.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative & Complementary Medicine, answered

Dr. Oz is right that first you need to consider whether you are getting deep sleep, refreshing sleep. Please follow the suggestions in the answers to the other questions about improving your sleep and getting a good night’s sleep.

Then, if you have a hard time getting out of bed when the alarm goes off, try getting a really loud alarm and putting it across the room so you have to get up to turn it off.

Or get yourself a Zen alarm clock (my favorite) from Now & Zen: it allows you to come gradually up to waking from a deep sleep by chiming once (a beautiful chime like a windchime), then again after 5 minutes, then again after 3 minutes, again after 2 minutes, more and more often until finally it’s going off nonstop and you can’t stand it and you have to get up. But in the meantime you’ve had about 10 or 15 minutes to lie in bed half awake, that luxurious time, and remember your dreams or say your affirmations.

If all else fails, get a Clocky. When the alarm goes off, this cute little clock will jump off your night stand and start rolling randomly around the room, under and behind furniture, so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.

How can deep abdominal breathing help promote quality sleep?