Question

Skin Injury

Why did my scar turn brown?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Your scar likely changed color because it was exposed to the sun. This sensitive skin is more likely to burn or change in color if exposed to the sun before fully healed.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AStuart Linder, MD, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, answered
    Ultraviolet light from the sun will cause a scar to darken and make cause hyperpigmentation. Always wear sunblock of at least spf 25 if possible for one year after the scar develops. 
  • ATara Whitworth, MSN, Nursing, answered
    Your scar was probably exposed to the sun. The skin from a wound is sensitive as it is healing and burns easily when exposed to the sun. Before you go out in the sun, you should apply sunscreen to your scars and cover them with clothing or a bandage.
  • ADaniel Kapp, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, answered on behalf of MDLIVE

Scars typically turn brown in response to sunlight and the UV radiation found in the sunlight.  Often lasers can be used to treat the hyperpigmentation in scars and reduce it.

What happens if my scar is exposed to sun?