Question

Skin Disorders

How can I treat skin tags myself?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Skin tag treatment

Those bothersome skin tags tend to crop up as we age. To find out more about skin tags and how to treat them, watch this video by Dr. Oz.

• AEllen Marmur, MD, Dermatology, answered

Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of skin tags yourself - and please don't attempt to! Patients have come to me after tying strings around their skin tags to suffocate the growth. This doesn't work and can cause a staphylococcus infection.

• AStuart Linder, MD, Plastic/reconstructive Surgery, answered

In general, it is not preferred for patients to treat skin lesions themselves. In the past, patients had been told to tie off the skin tags which devascularizes the base and the skin tag can then fall off. This, however, can lead to all types of skin infections and is not highly recommended. These skin tags can be easily removed by dermatologist or a plastic surgeon through small local injection, excision at the base, and base cauterization.

What can a doctor do for seborrheic keratoses?