Question

Skin Cleansing

What kind of soap should I use to wash infected skin?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    If your skin is infected, see your dermatologist, and ask about the best way to wash your skin. He or she might suggest using an antibacterial soap. If the affected area is small, you may be able to soak the infected skin in warm water and wash it separately. Pat the skin dry using soft, disposable paper towel. Throw out the paper towel to avoid contamination.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

For mild infections of the skin, it’s best to use a mild soap with the fewest ingredients. Antibacterial soaps do little to treat infected skin. It’s better to use a fragrance-free glycerin-based soap, or tea tree soap, which has natural antibiotic properties. However, if you have a more severe infection, you may be instructed to use a chemical antiseptic like chlorhexidine to clean the infected area. Don’t wash a wound with anything you wouldn’t put in your eye.

Also, just as important as what soap you use to wash the infected area, is how you wash the infected area. Rub that soap around the infected area for the length of time it takes you to sing “Happy Birthday” twice, then rinse off and dry with a clean towel.
How does body wash remove dirt from my skin?