Question

Skin Cancers

What kind of doctor should I see if I need to be checked for skin cancer?

• Your family doctor is well trained to assess you for skin cancer. If you have a mole, freckle or other skin lesion that is new, changing, large, asymmetric, has irregular borders, is variably colored, is bleeding, irritating or is otherwise bothering you it is wise to have it checked out sooner rather than later. If you need to see a subspecialist, your family doctor may refer you to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in skin diseases).
  • AManuel Torres, MD, Family Medicine, answered on behalf of Baptist Health South Florida
    Your family doctor may be able to test you for skin cancer. Family doctors are experts in general medicine, including skin health. They provide services that may include examining skin for signs of skin cancer and even doing simple skin biopsies (minor surgery to remove suspicious skin lesions for laboratory examination).
    If your family doctor thinks you need more specialized care, he may refer you to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating the skin) and work together with the dermatologist to maximize your care. Talk to your own family doctor about what is best for you. 
How likely am I to develop skin cancer?