Question

Skin Care

How does my daily lifestyle affect my skin health?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Some lifestyle habits can cause premature skin aging and result in unhealthy skin. People who smoke cigarettes may look older than they are.

Spending a lot of time in the sun can also cause premature skin aging, leading to fine lines, wrinkles freckles, and brown spots (known as age spots) on your face and the top of your hands. Frequent sun exposure causes thickening of your skin, making it rough and leathery. It even weakens the elastin and collagen in skin, so skin doesn't spring back" as readily. And it damages skin cells, putting you at increased risk for skin cancer. 

Sleeping with your face in the same position on the pillow every night can also lead to wrinkles. So can making the same facial expressions over and over again.

You can help prevent premature skin aging and unhealthy skin by changing some of your lifestyle habits. If you smoke, stop. If you love to be in the sun, wear protective clothing including a wide-brimmed hat and apply a broad-spectrum with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher 20 minutes before you go outside. Reapply as needed. To avoid sleep-induced wrinkles, sleep on your back.
  • Many aspects of your daily life can have a huge impact on your skin health. What you eat and how stressful your life is affects how healthy your skin is, as does ultraviolet (UV) light exposure from the sun. Good daily habits that can benefit your skin include drinking lots of water; eating fruits, vegetables, healthy carbohydrates and proteins; and making sure that you control or reduce your stress. Staying hydrated gives the skin the moisture it needs so it doesn't become dry and flaky. A healthy diet provides the nutrients that skin needs to stay strong and stretchy, and to regenerate itself. Reducing stress, either through lifestyle changes or relaxation techniques, can reduce the sensitivity of your skin. It's also important to remember to wear sunscreen or protective clothing to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.

How can I reverse the signs of aging on my face?