Question

Premature Ejaculation

How should I prepare to talk with my doctor about premature ejaculation?

• AIan Kerner, PhD, Sexual Health, answered on behalf of Good In Bed
    Asking a doctor for help can be daunting for many guys, who don’t like to talk about their premature ejaculation (PE) with anyone. Also, in the wake of years of Viagra commercials and prescriptions, both physicians and patients are somewhat more open to talking about sexual issues and viewing a sexual problem through a physiological lens, rather than a purely sexual one. It’s less of a stigma. That said, chances are, you won’t be the only one feeling awkward. Doctors may be more uncomfortable talking about sex than you’d think. They rarely bring up the subject on their own and, unless they’re urologists, for example, often may not have received training on how to discuss sexual issues with their patients.

This all means that, when it comes to talking about PE with your doctor, the ball is in your court. You’re probably going to have to raise the issue during your visit -- and you may even know more about PE than your doctor does. That’s where all your research comes in. You should be able to arrive at your doctor’s office knowing what the problem is and how he or she can help you manage it. You may want to come prepared with some information about PE in general and about how selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors can help.
How can professional assistance help me deal with premature ejaculation?