Question

Seafood Allergy

How can I avoid a seafood allergy reaction?

• To avoid an allergic reaction to seafood, strict avoidance of seafood and seafood products is essential. Always read ingredient labels to identify shellfish ingredients. In addition, avoid touching shellfish, going to the fish market and being in an area where shellfish are being cooked as the protein in the steam may present a risk. Here are more tips to avoid a reaction:
    • If you have seafood allergy, avoid seafood restaurants. Even if you order a non-seafood item off of the menu, it is safer to always assume that cross-contact is possible.
    • Asian restaurants often serve dishes that use fish sauce as a flavoring base. Exercise caution or avoid eating there altogether.
    • Shellfish protein can become airborne in the steam released during cooking and may be a risk. Stay away from cooking areas.
    • Many people who are allergic to shellfish are allergic to more than one kind. Talk to your doctor so that you know for sure what foods to avoid.
Can I take krill oil supplements if I am allergic to shellfish?