Question

Schizophrenia

Is early diagnosis and treatment important in treating schizophrenia?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

Anytime something goes wrong or feels off (ranging from a bad cut to feeling down or not yourself), the sooner you deal with it, the better.

Imagine a bad cut that you get doing work around the house. You’re so excited to be almost done with your to-do list, so you just wrap it up with a paper towel and decide to deal with it later, but you never end up washing it or bandaging it with something that actually keeps germs out, so it gets infected and is even more painful than what caused the cut in the first place. If you continue to neglect it, the infection could spread, causing a whole host of other issues.

While dealing with a bad cut pales in comparison to coping with schizophrenia, the implications of not treating both early are the same. While there is no cure for schizophrenia just yet (free trip to Sweden for whoever figures it out!), medication and therapy can reduce disabling symptoms that prevent you from completing everyday tasks. They also teach you what signs to look out for if an episode is coming and how to cope with your symptoms in a positive way. The sooner you learn these and get symptoms in check, the less debilitating and disabling the condition will be.

How can I cope if I am diagnosed with schizophrenia?