Question

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Can orthotic devices improve the way I live with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?

• AKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN, Emergency Room Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
    An orthotic may help you with walking and your RA if you have mechanical or structural foot/ankle problems. Mechanical problems are those that come from you using your foot and ankle. Structural problems are those that come from the bones in your foot and ankle. 

To determine if orthotics would be of benefit to you, seek out the services of a certified Pedorthist. 
  • The use of orthotic devices may be very helpful when managing rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Deformities resulting from RA are an overlooked consequence that can limit your ability to function. In most cases, the goal of orthotic devices is to make your life easier by improving your quality of life and giving back your independence.

Does rheumatoid arthritis (RA) put me at greater risk for disabilities?