Side effects are common with radiation therapy and may depend on what area of the body receives radiation. Side effects typically go away after radiation therapy is over. Side effects can include:
- Hair loss near the treated area.
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Loss of appetite.
- Painful urination.
- Skin darkening in the area exposed to a beam of radiation, which can be permanent.
- Sore throat (with neck or chest radiation).
- Vaginal dryness in women and erection problems in men (with pelvic radiation).
© Healthwise, Incorporated.