Question

Psychology of Weight Loss

What if I make a mistake while on my diet?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Take a U-turn

Often a diet mistake may make you give up on eating healthily altogether. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen offer hope in that everyone makes mistakes but they should just keep going forward.

• AJudith Beck, MD, Psychology, answered
    Everybody makes mistakes, it’s not the end of the world. Get back on track this minute! It’s a million times better to stop now than to keep eating more. Being on track feels so much better than feeling out of control.
  • APaula Greer, Midwifery Nursing, answered

Making mistakes is part of the learning process. We all make mistakes the key is to learn from them. The YOU docs say when you make a mistake make a legal U TURN and get right back on track. Here are a few key points I used to auto correct and make put myself back on track:

• First as you make your U Turn switch your brain to positive mental affirmations and turning your thoughts around. Take back control of your mind and thoughts. Do not allowing negativity to creep in. Tell yourself you want to eat oatmeal and think how good it tastes, do not let your thoughts wander to craving donuts and feeling deprived. If a negative dialog starts to creep in just start singing your favorite song and you will feel better and forget you felt bad.
    • Second make sure you continue to eat healthy and make sure to get in your omega 3’s that will help reduce your feelings of anger and depression not to mention being good for your blood pressure.
    • Third remember to keep moving. Exercise such as a simple walk is a great way to get your heart rate pumping, your blood flowing and helping you to feel the positive energy. This will help reduce stress and help you to sleep better.

Some of this is so basic but when we don’t do these simple things it is easy to become paralyzed and trapped in our unhealthy lives. You have to start with what you can control and that is YOU. You can have what you want and need. When your mind and body are healthy positive things will happen. If you are pulling in negative energy negative things will happen. Positive thinking, eating healthy foods and getting those 10,000 steps a day will lead you to success and eventually maintenance.

How can stress affect my waistline?