Question

Plaque Psoriasis

What can I do to prevent and treat psoriasis?

• AHealthwise answered
    There is no way to prevent psoriasis. But you can take steps to improve symptoms or help reduce the number of psoriasis flare-ups.

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. To learn more visit Healthwise.org

© Healthwise, Incorporated.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Psoriasis treatments

There are a several treatment options to help soothe and treat the scaly skin caused by psoriasis. Watch this video by Dr. Oz to learn what you can do to ease your psoriasis symptoms.

• AEllen Marmur, MD, Dermatology, answered

Don't scratch or try to scrub off the scaly skin. Instead, moisturize with a thick, occlusive cream or ointment twice a day. Sweat will irritate the skin, as will fragranced products or perfume. Psoriasis sufferers have to be careful about everything they put on their skin - even sunscreen can sting. Even one patch of plaque should lead you to see a dermatologist, especially since it's likely that you will develop others in the future. It's important to get onto a good treatment program to prevent a more extensive outbreak.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How can I avoid getting psoriasis if it runs in my family?