Question

Plaque Psoriasis

What can I do to prevent and treat psoriasis?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Psoriasis treatments

There are a several treatment options to help soothe and treat the scaly skin caused by psoriasis. Watch this video by Dr. Oz to learn what you can do to ease your psoriasis symptoms.

• AHealthwise answered
    There is no way to prevent psoriasis. But you can take steps to improve symptoms or help reduce the number of psoriasis flare-ups.

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. To learn more visit Healthwise.org

© Healthwise, Incorporated.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered

For a quick fix, while investigating your options for longterm prevention and reversal of symptoms, I recommend Seven Cream, which my clients have reported as working better than cortisone for any skin condition that involves dry, itchy, flaking and/or burned skin. It’s not usually found in health food stores but you can easily get it online, for example from www.mirandacastro.com.

There are two natural options for longterm treatment which I have seen work extremely well in my own clients, some of whom want to avoid cortisone or other medications for their own reasons, and for some of whom the conventional medications do not work; the psoriasis just keeps coming back.

One option is the treatment program in Dr. John Pagano’s Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative. He describes a diet which is quite strict but very healthy; my clients have reported losing weight and having more energy and generally feeling better on his diet, as well as having their psoriasis go away.

The other option is to consult a professional homeopath. I have seen a number of cases of psoriasis completely disappear under homeopathic treatment (with simultaneous improvement in energy, mood, sleep, etc., which is a hallmark of a good treatment). Homeopathic medicines for chronic conditions are so individualized that you really need to see a professional homeopath.

• AEllen Marmur, MD, Dermatology, answered

Don't scratch or try to scrub off the scaly skin. Instead, moisturize with a thick, occlusive cream or ointment twice a day. Sweat will irritate the skin, as will fragranced products or perfume. Psoriasis sufferers have to be careful about everything they put on their skin - even sunscreen can sting. Even one patch of plaque should lead you to see a dermatologist, especially since it's likely that you will develop others in the future. It's important to get onto a good treatment program to prevent a more extensive outbreak.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How can I avoid getting psoriasis if it runs in my family?