Medications used to treat psoriasis fall into two major categories: topical drugs and oral medications. There are several in each category.
- Corticosteroid cream-reduces inflammation by slowing cell production.
- Anthralin-helps regulate DNA in your skin cells and removes plaques
- Salicylic acid-helps remove dead skin cells
- Vitamin D-slows skin cell growth
- Cyclosporine-helps regulate your immune system by slowing cell production, reducing inflammation
- Immunomodulator-helps regulate your immune system by slowing cell production, reducing inflammation
- Methotrexate-reduces skin cell production
- Retinoid-reduces skin cell production
Some oral medications can be injected into the skin as well.