Flax seed is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, so it can be one component of a natural treatment plan for psoriasis. To get the maximum benefit of flax seeds, you have to treat them carefully, because the essential fatty acids in them could easily become rancid, and then they are actually worse than nothing. So please do the following:
- buy them whole, not ground, because as soon as they are ground, the essential fatty acids are exposed to oxygen and start to break down;
- keep them in the freezer and only take out what you will use each day;
- grind them immediately before using in a coffee bean/spice grinder;
- or if you are making a smoothie in a Vita Mix (which I highly recommend) put the flax seeds in and grind them to a powder before adding all your wonderful raw fruits and vegetables;
- once you’ve mixed them into a food or drink or smoothie, eat or drink it right away, otherwise the flax seeds will make a gelatin-like substance which may make it harder to eat or drink.
Having said all that, I want to add that there is much more you can do for psoriasis than just eating flax seeds. There are two natural options for longterm treatment which I have seen work extremely well in my own clients, some of whom want to avoid cortisone or other medications for their own reasons, and for some of whom the conventional medications do not work; the psoriasis just keeps coming back.
One option is the treatment program in Dr. John Pagano’s Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative. He describes a diet which is quite strict but very healthy; my clients have reported losing weight and having more energy and generally feeling better on his diet, as well as having their psoriasis go away.
The other option is to consult a professional homeopath. I have seen a number of cases of psoriasis completely disappear under homeopathic treatment (with simultaneous improvement in energy, mood, sleep, etc., which is a hallmark of a good treatment). Homeopathic medicines for chronic conditions are so individualized that you really need to see a professional homeopath.