This is easy! A serving of beans (legumes) is just 1/2 cup. A serving of nuts or seeds is 1 oz which is about a small handful. To meet your 4-5 servings a week, try these easy strategies...
- Enjoy an ounce of nuts 4-5 times a week. That's as simple as swapping your midday potato chips for almonds - you get 23 almonds per one ounce serving.
- Sprinkle toasted walnuts onto your salad for extra crunch, fiber, protein and a dose of heart healthy fats.
- Snack on fresh or roasted edamame (soybeans straight from the pod).
- Make a vegetarian chili using black beans, pinto beans or kidney beans (or all three) as the star. Just one cup of the chili will give you two servings.
- Toss black beans into your favorite marinara sauce to increase the fiber and protein of the dish.
- Add a 1/2 cup of chickpeas to your salad at lunch.
- Opt for a spicy pinto or black bean burger instead of a meat based burger. Depending on the size the burger will yield 1-1 1/2 servings of beans.
- Make a bean salad of cannellini beans, tomatoes and your favorite Italian herbs.
There are many easy and tasty ways to incorporate beans and nuts into your weekly routine. Just pick one and get started!