Question

Prostate Cancer Treatment

What are my catheter instructions after prostate surgery?

• Your catheter is very important to allow healing of the bladder to the urethra. The catheter should drain your bladder continuously. There should not be any added tension on it at any time. If you feel pulling or tugging, this means that your catheter needs to be fastened higher up on your leg to allow for some slack on the catheter as you move and walk. Notify your surgeon immediately if the catheter stops draining completely or if it falls out.

The urine collection bag must be positioned at all times below the bladder for proper draining by gravity. Drain the bag before it gets too full as this will result in a back up of urine in the bladder. Although use of the larger collection bag is advised, a smaller leg bag is available and can be worn under clothing. The larger bag is required at night as the smaller bags are likely to fill up too quickly.

The tip of the penis may get sore from catheter irritation. Use plain soap and warm water to wash this area daily. You may use water-based lubricants to prevent dryness and discomfort at the tip of the penis. A small amount of blood-tinged urethral secretions or even urine may leak around the catheter at the tip of the penis especially during bowel movements. This occurs due to mild straining and is completely normal.

It is common for your urine to turn pink or red-tinged as you become more active simply from the catheter rubbing against your bladder lining. If this occurs, reduce your walking and increase your fluid intake. It is permissible to bring the urine collection bag in the shower.

How and when will my catheter be removed after prostate surgery?