Question

Prevention Of Food Poisoning

What are supermarket-shopping suggestions for avoiding bacteria?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Follow these tips:

- Be meat smart. Buy chicken, fish, and poultry at the end of your shopping trip so they stay cold longer. Make sure all meats are packaged tightly (double bagging is a good idea), so no juices (and the bacteria they contain) can leak out onto other foods.

- Bin there, what's that? It's sad but true: Many people skip the tongs and use their bare hands to get that bagel from the bread bin, introducing their own bacteria and viruses. That's not all they leave behind. Among the most commonly found items at the bottom of open bins are false fingernails. Skip any open containers, and opt for packaged items.

- Reuse, recycle, and rewash. Reusable bags are great for the environment, but they can be bad for food safety. Wash them after every 10 uses -- using an acidic cleaner such as vinegar, or running them through the washing machine -- to remove any dangerous bacteria from your previous shopping trips.

• AFrances Largeman-Roth, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Frances Largeman-Roth - What are supermarket-shopping suggestions for avoiding bacteria?

Shopping carts can be microbe incubators. In this video, registered dietitian Frances Largeman-Roth explains how to not pack up bacteria along with your groceries.

• AJoy Dubost, PhD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
    Dr. Joy Dubost - Food safety tips
    Each year, one in six people in the U.S. will suffer from food poisoning. In this video, Dr. Joy Dubost offers her guidance for buying meat and avoiding cross-contamination.

What can I do to keep myself safe from food-borne illnesses?