Question

Prediabetes

How can I treat my prediabetes?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    You can treat prediabetes by eating right, exercising regularly and losing a modest amount of weight. Prediabetes, a condition in which your blood sugar is elevated but not high enough to indicate type 2 diabetes, greatly increases your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Fortunately, some lifestyle changes may prevent you from developing type 2 diabetes. If you are overweight, losing about 5% to 10% of your body weight (often just 10 to 15 pounds) can help bring your blood sugar levels back to normal. Regular exercise, such as walking 30 minutes a day, five days a week, can also be effective.
  • Many of the same medications used to treat diabetes can also be used for prediabetes; the most common one is called Metformin. It is perhaps better to look at prediabetes as a warning that lifestyle issues, particularly diet and exercise, are not in balance. The focus should initially be on improving these factors if possible before starting treatment with drugs. 
  • Prediabetes is treatable. Lifestyle changes such as weight loss and regular exercise are most helpful in lowering blood glucose in people with prediabetes. In fact, studies show that these changes can delay -- and perhaps prevent -- the onset of diabetes and other problems.
I have prediabetes, what should I do?