- Q What is a pituitary adenoma?
Dr. Patrick Maguire, OncologyPituitary adenomas are benign tumors that account for 10% to 15% of primary brain tumors. Roughly 75% are functional, meaning that they produce hormones, and the other 25% are nonfunctional. Functional adenomas may be treated with medications, depending... Full Answer
- Q Should I talk to my doctor about a pituitary tumor?
Talk to your doctor about a pituitary tumor if you are experiencing any hormonal imbalances or vision problems. Pituitary tumors can cause such problems as headaches, nausea, low sex drive, excessive sweating, rapid weight loss or gain, and more. People... Full Answer
- Q How is pituitary tumor treated?
The treatment options for a pituitary tumor depend on several factors, including the size and location of the tumor. Surgery is often recommended if a tumor is creating pressure on the optic nerve and disrupting a person's vision. The majority of the... Full Answer
- Q What are the symptoms of pituitary tumors?
The symptoms of a pituitary tumor include both physical and biochemical issues. Headaches, vision problems, lethargy, changes in a person's sense of smell, and nausea are all symptoms of pituitary tumors. Because an affected pituitary gland will... Full Answer
- Q Do children grow out of a pituitary tumor?
Children do not grow out of a pituitary tumor. Pituitary tumors are rare in children-but they do happen. If they are left untreated-they will not go away. However,it is possible that a child will have a pituitary tumor that never presents any symptoms. Full Answer
- Q How common is a pituitary tumor?
Pituitary tumors are extremely common. Approximately 20% of all people have one. However, the majority of these growths are benign, meaning that they not cancerous. Also, many people never experience any symptoms and therefore never receive a diagnosis... Full Answer
- Q How does a pituitary tumor affect the body?
A pituitary tumor can affect the body by disrupting the normal activities of the pituitary gland and creating imbalances in the hormonal system. Known as functioning tumors, some pituitary tumors even produce hormones themselves. Physical affects of... Full Answer