Question

Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

How long will it take to recover from pancreatic surgery?

• AJohn A. Chabot, Endocrinology/diabetes/metabolism, answered on behalf of Columbia University Department of Surgery
    As with all major operations, recovering from a pancreatic surgery takes time. Full recovery requires an average of two months. Depending on the type of operation you undergo, you will be admitted into the hospital for 4 days to 2 weeks so that your medical team can monitor any post-operative complications. Some common complications include leakage from the various intestinal connections the surgeon makes during an operation, infection, and bleeding. These complications are typically managed with a combination of draining tubes and antibiotics. It is important to emphasize the necessity of choosing an experienced surgeon and treatment facility where these complications are significantly lower. 
How will I know if my pancreatic cancer can be removed?