- If you are feeling bloated or nauseated, the key is to slow down, chew your food well, and eat small amounts.
- If the smell of food bothers you, try eating it at room temperature.
- Getting enough fluids is very important, but the majority of liquids should be taken in between meals, not with meals. High caloric, nutritious drinks such as juices, Gatorade, milk – not soda.
- Protein is very important in the healing process. Look to finish the protein portion of the meal first, saving the carbohydrates for last, in case you get too full.
- One or both between-meal snacks can be a liquid supplement such as Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast.
- An over-the-counter multivitamin is also a good idea.