Question

Pain Treatment

What should I do if I have chest pains?

• ADeb Cordes, Cardiac Care Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
    If you do not have known heart disease and start to have chest pain/chest discomfort of any kind that lasts more then 5 minutes call 911. If you have heart disease and have nitrogylcerin tablets it would be important to follow your physician's instructions on how to take them, and when to call 911 or go to the emergency room if the nitroglycerin does not relieve the chest pain. In either case if the chest discomfort is associated with nausea, vomiting, sweating, shortness of breath, pain or discomfort in jaws, arms or back seek emergency medical attention by calling 911.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • If you experience a “smothering feeling” or angina-like chest pain
    (discomfort, pressure, or pain in the chest, back, neck, shoulders, jaw, or arms), follow these instructions:

1) Stop what you’re doing, and sit or lie down.

2) If you’ve been prescribed nitroglycerin, see if the pain can be
        relieved with nitroglycerin:
    Take one nitroglycerin pill and wait 5 minutes. If the pain is not relieved, take another nitroglycerin pill and wait 5
         more minutes. If the pain is still not relieved, take a third nitroglycerin pill, and wait
         5 minutes. 3) If your pain is still not relieved, call 911. Wait for the ambulance. Do 
       NOT go to the hospital in a private car. You might need emergency care
       on the way to the hospital--which ambulance staff can provide.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How does pineapple help reduce pain?