Question

Pacemaker

How soon after getting a pacemaker may I resume normal activity?

• AIndrajit Choudhuri, MD, Cardiology, answered on behalf of Aurora Health Care

Recommendations for resuming normal activity after getting a pacemaker vary. We recommend limited range of motion and weight bearing less than 10 lbs for the first two weeks. Afterward, if the wound is healing well, then gradual increase in range of motion and weight bearing is encouraged. By four weeks after implant, patients should be able to return to full range of motion and weight bearing. The shoulder should not be completely immobilized at any for more than 24 to 48 hours because this can lead to frozen shoulder and other problems. Some motion and activity is always encouraged, according to the described schedule.

• To ensure a smooth recovery, you will need to take it easy for 3 to 4 days after the procedure and avoid any heavy lifiting or pulling with your arm or shoulder on the side of the body where the pacemaker was inserted.
Can I eat before receiving a pacemaker?