Question

Pacemaker

Can having a pacemaker have adverse affects on fitness?

• As per Omrom: "Safety Precaution: Bioelectric Impedance Analysis devices pass an extremely weak electrical signal through the body when taking a measurement. This electrical signal is not felt and is safe for individuals without cardiac pacemakers and implanted medical devices. As a precaution, persons with cardiac pacemakers, electrocardiographs and/or other medical devices implanted in the body or used for life support, should not use Bioelectric Impedance Devices."

• AMichael Herring - Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    First and foremost, getting approval from your doctor is always a good place to start. Pacemakers have different reasons as to why a person may have one inserted. Check with your doctor or pacemaker clinic to see if there are any limitations with your pacemaker. One limitation would be does your pacemaker allow your heart rate to increase. Working with an experienced trainer who may have experience in cardiology and pacemakers. To find one, call the local hospital's cardiac rehab department and see if they know of any personal trainers that may work for them. You might could even ask your physician's staff if they know of anyone.
  • Agree with previous answer. Many people continue to workout out ! There's some limitation set by your Physician about how high you Heart rate should be ! My recommendation is to have a Heart rate monitor and set it on a zone recommended by your Physician! And of course work with an experienced trainer!
  • AAnn Prokenpek, Fitness, answered
    There will probably be some limitations so you will want to check with your physician, but many people do continue aerobic exercise as well as resistance training with a pacemaker.

You may want to find a good, certified personal trainer who has experience working with people who have pacemakers, internal defibrilators, and other types of heart monitors.  The trainer will work closely with your cardiologist to design the proper program for your specific condition and fitness level.
Do I have to take it easy if I have a pacemaker?