Question

Orthodontics

Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?

• Yes, your primary dentist is still the best caretaker of your overall dental health. Your orthodontist, of course, will monitor your braces and the progress they are making to straighten your teeth or fix your bite, but it's the regular cleanings and dental exams that will keep you mouth healthy for life. Remember: you can still get cavities when you are wearing braces so always remember to brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and to floss daily.
  • ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    Because your orthodontist is not in charge of cleaning your teeth or checking for cavities, tooth decay, gum disease, or managing tooth aches, you still need to see your dentist twice a year at least. Orthodontists and dentists specialize in different things. You need to see both to take care of your teeth.
  • AMaryann Lehmann, Dentist, answered

Yes, it is important to see your general dentist while under the care of an orthodontist. Your general dentist and their hygienist will make sure your teeth are kept clean, check the condition of your gums, and check for cavities. General dentists and orthodontists work as a team for you and your oral health. Most of the orthodontists we work with advise that our shared patients see us once every 3-4 months for a cleaning and check-up, more often than our non-orthodontic patients, because it is much more difficult to keep your mouth clean while appliances and wires are in place.

• AAngela Canfield, Dentist, answered
    You should always see your general dentist during orthodontic treatment. Sometimes when you are in orthodontic appliances your general dentist will even want to see you more than twice a year, because your teeth are more difficult to keep clean.
  • AKatherine Vo, DDS, Dentist, answered
    Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. It's important to maintain your routine check up and cleaning during this period, as poor gum health and tooth decay can interfere with your orthodontic treatment and overall oral health.
  • ASaul Miller, Dentist, answered
    Absolutely. Without regular dental examinations and necessary treatment, it is possible to wind up with "straight teeth and good bite", but with decayed teeth and unhealthy gums.

While your orthodontist looks at your gums and teeth during treatment visits, it is essential and routinely part of the guidelines/rules given to the patient regarding orthodontic therapy that the patient be seen by the general dentist on a routine basis for recall/continuing care. Your general dentist will examine your teeth and gums and treat or address your dental problems/concerns other than orthodontic. When indicated this care is coordinated with your orthodontist.
  • AArnold Liebman, Dentist, answered
    You need to see your dentist especially when you have braces. You are more at risk of having food and bacteria adhere to the braces, so a professional cleaning is more important. One can always get cavities and your teeth need to be examined periodically, the standard time is every six months.

The last thing that you want is bleeding around the braces which is an unhealthy situation.
  • AS. Jay Bowman, DMD, Orthodontics, answered
    Smile & Teeth, Female
    Returning regularly to your family dentist during orthodontics is critical. Your dentist and staff will continue to examine your overall oral health and screen for cavities and gum tissue issues along with providing cleanings (prophylaxis -- a procedure not typically offered in an orthodontic practice). Besides, four eyes and two minds-orthodontist and dentist teamwork-is a huge advantage in making sure you receive the very best care.

Smile & Teeth, Female
Should I eat differently if I have braces?