Question

Opiate Agonists

Can I use Subutex if I am taking diltiazem?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    If you take the blood pressure medication diltiazem, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a drug that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Diltiazem may interact with Subutex, which may affect how well either drug works and raise your risk for side effects. Your doctor may need to adjust your doses of medications and monitor you closely for side effects.

Diltiazem is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.
Can I use Subutex if I have a history of stomach problems?