Question

Nutrition and Weight Loss

How should I take green coffee bean for weight loss?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Because the green coffee bean is so bitter, I recommend taking it in capsule form. I suggest finding 400 mg pure green coffee bean capsules online -- make sure they are pure and contain absolutely no fillers or binders! Take two capsules about 30 minutes before meals; I recommend taking them two or three times per day with a full glass of water for the best results. And remember that combining green coffee bean with a healthy diet and exercise can improve your results!
    This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    Helpful? 19 people found this helpful.
  • AJanis Jibrin, MS, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Because the research on green coffee bean extract is still sparse, it’s unclear how effective this substance is as a weight-loss aid, and how much to take. In some of the human studies, people took 180 mg1 to 1,050 mg2 daily (either mixed in with regular coffee, or just the extract).

In a Norwegian study, people drank five cups a day of coffee spiked with green coffee extract. That much caffeine can disrupt your sleep – and research shows sleep loss can make you eat more and gain weight. Taking in less green coffee extract might work just as well, but we don’t know for sure.

For now, the tried and true advice still seems best: To lose weight, you need to eat a healthy diet, watch your calories and get plenty of regular exercise.
    1. Onakpoya, et al. The Use of Green Coffee Extract as a Weight Loss Supplement: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Clinical Trials. Gastroenterology Research and Practice Volume 2011, Article ID 382852, 6 pages 
    2. Vinson, J. et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy 2012:5 21–27
Will health food help me lose weight?