Question

Nutrition and Weight Loss

How can I lower my ghrelin levels so I'm less hungry?

• AMarjorie Nolan Cohn, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

There are a few things you need to do in order to keep ghrelin at bay.

• Eat every 4 hours. Ghrelin is produced and secreted on a four hour schedule. In order to keep ghrelin low you need to eat on a schedule. Eat at least three meals, and one to two snacks every 3-4 hours daily.
    • Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Less than 7 hours of sleep has been associated with higher ghrelin levers, reported hunger, and higher body weight in research studies.
    • Eat animal protein at every meal. Protein takes longer to digest, and studies show it is the most effect food groups at lowering ghrelin.
    • Drink at least 75 ounces water daily. Thirst and hunger are easily confused because they share the same side effects; fatigue, muscle cramping/soreness, dizzy, poor concentration etc.
    • Reduce stress. Stress is associated with higher body weight, and ghrelin production.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • APaula Greer, Midwifery Nursing, answered
    Grehlin levels remain high until food stretches the wall of your stomach making you feel full. High volume, low calorie, nutrient dense foods reduce grehlin levels long before you have overeaten. A light salad or vegetable soup goes along way to cutting back on your hunger. If using protein to suppress grehlin it is important to remember to stay organic and within your portion size or calorie allowance. This is when a protein shake might come in handy.

What is grehlin?