Question

Nutrition and Weight Loss

Are there any good supplements for weight loss?

• Many people are always looking for that quick fix and they think weight loss supplements is the key to success.  This is only a temporary fix to a problem.  What you have to remember is if you don't change your lifestyle no matter what supplement you are on the weight will come back.  Remember weight loss supplements are a stimulate to cause you to burn more calories.  Once you stop taking your supplement and your lifestyle hasn't changed you will gain the weight back.  If you want to lose weight and keep it off just remember to burn more calories than you take in.  Once you reach your goal you can just maintain where you are at.  As a trainer I never reccomend weight loss supplements at all just because there are so many side effects and it is something you can't stay on for long term.  If you want to lose weight safely and correctly see your fitness professional for the right training program and your RD for the right meal planning.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AdotFIT answered
    There are very few supplements that mimic the actions of successful drugs used for weight loss. Meal replacements bars and shakes are the only supplements that may actually work.
    It's important to note that supplements alone are NOT a weight loss program, whereas diet and exercise can be.
    The goal of incorporating a dietary supplement (or drug) into a weight loss program is to assist the user in complying with the daily routine that leads to weight loss. And, as with all human studies on meal replacements, the supplement ingredients must have safely demonstrated the potential to act in one or more of the following ways:
    1. Help create and maintain a calorie deficit by increasing daily calorie expenditure when compared to not taking supplements
    2. Raise energy levels that may make one more active throughout the day
    3. Reduce the drive to eat
    4. Decrease calorie absorption
    Meal replacements and weight loss:
    In all studies, meal replacements (MRs) bars and shakes used for 1 or 2 meals per day were shown to be an extremely effective aid to weight reduction. In almost all cases, MR were more effective than conventional dieting. MRs have also been shown to be just as effective as dietary restriction combined with weight loss drug therapy. Most importantly, continuous use of MRs may be the most effective means of all treatments when it comes to maintaining weight loss.
    Other potentially helpful weight loss supplements
    Herbal combination such as caffeine, green tea components and capsaicin have been clinically shown to be effective in producing significant effects on metabolic targets such as satiety (feeling of fullness), thermogenesis (increasing metabolism) and fat oxidation (increase use of fat for daily energy needs). These types of supplements are not appropriate for people with adverse reactions to stimulants. These types of dietary supplements may be appropriate for: 1) people with aggressive goals such a time limit (e.g. special events on set dates, making a certain weight class for sport or competition, etc.); 2) athletes/entertainers preparing for competition that may require/demand very low body fat; 3) people who have failed multiple times at reaching or maintaining weight goals. The user would stop taking these supplements once the weight goal is reached or when they have their daily routines under control to continue making progress without the supplements.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • Despite an enormous number of products on the market promising weight loss or fat loss, a tested, safe and effective supplement for weight loss does not exist. According to the Mayo Clinic, “A number of weight-loss pills and potions are available at your local drugstore, supermarket or health food store. Even more options are available online. Most have not proved effective, and some may be downright dangerous.”
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ALisa Lynn, Fitness, answered
    These are the top supplements for weight loss:

• Multivitamin/Mineral. It needs to be complete, and it should have all of the essential vitamins and minerals in it. Check the US RDAs (recommended dietary allowance), and make sure that they are high enough if you are trying to lose weight. Not getting enough of the right nutrients can stop weight loss as well.
    • Whey Protein Shake. Many of us need more of the right kind of protein. Unlike most foods, a good whey protein shake (not soy- or milk-based) will increase your metabolism 25 percent. If you're trying to lose body fat, this is the most important step in the process. Drink a shake for breakfast!
    • Fat-Burning Boosters are important if you have a sluggish metabolism or feel anxious, stressed or depressed. Look for L-Carnitine from a good source. Quality and amount are key here. I suggest layering the L-Carnitine with B vitamins as well as other ingredients to help cleanse your body and make you feel good.
    • Calcium is great for weight loss. But I don't mean drink more milk! If you are trying to lose weight, you can't afford the extra calories. However, you still need to get the right amount of calcium; that is usually somewhere between 1200-1500 mg. Most multivitamins will not have that amount (it can interfere with the absorption of other nutrients and cause stomach upset as well as diarrhea). It is a good idea to have some type of extra calcium on hand. I love calcium chewables; they taste great and also satisfy a sweet tooth!
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
How can I add more vitamin C to my weight loss diet?