Question

Nutrition & Pregnancy

Is Spirulina safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    It is not known at this time whether Spirulina is safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women or for their children. However, due to the risk of contamination with heavy metals, pregnant women are advised not to take Spirulina. If you are pregnant, you should speak to your doctor prior to taking Spirulina

• There is not enough information to recommend the safe use of spirulina during pregnancy or breastfeeding. In mice, diets containing up to 30% spirulina are not reported to cause harmful effects to either the mother or the offspring. However, reliable human studies addressing safety during pregnancy or breastfeeding are not available.

You should read product labels, and discuss all therapies with a qualified healthcare provider. Natural Standard information does not constitute medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Copyright © 2012 by Natural Standard Research Collaboration. All Rights Reserved.

Should I take a supplement if I am pregnant?