Question

Nose Disorders

How can I test my sense of smell?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    To test your sense of smell, take an alcohol swab packet and open it up by your belly button. Breathe in and see if you can detect its odor. Next, begin moving the pad closer to your nose and keep trying to smell it. If you smell the swab 8-12 inches away from your nose, around chest level, that's normal. However, if you still can't recognize it at 4 inches away from your nose, that indicates a loss of smell.

If your sense of smell is lacking, try taking 600 milligrams (mg) of the supplement alpha lipoic acid daily, to wake up the olfactory nerve, which is instrumental in the sense of smell.
    This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
Why does my sense of smell seem worse?