Question

Neck Pain

What can I do to stop my neck from hurting?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    1 156 04 pain in the neck
    Neck pain is one of the most common muscle ailments. Watch as Dr. Oz offers tips on how to keep your neck and spine pain-free in this video.

Helpful? 4 people found this helpful.
  • AMike Clark, DPT, Fitness, answered on behalf of Sharecare Fitness

Oftentimes neck pain is caused by poor posture. Poor posture can be indicated by your head pushing forward, your chin jutted out, and your shoulders being rounded. Poor posture causes the muscles in the front of your neck and the muscles on your shoulder blades to get weak.  In addition, the muscles of your chest, upper shoulder and neck area get tight. To correct this, do the following:

1. Maintain proper posture (to maintain proper posture, tuck your chin, keep your eyes straight, and keep your shoulders back and balanced).

2. Stretch your chest muscles (pectoralis major). Perform the wall chest stretch and hold for 30 seconds.

3. Stretch your neck muscles (levator scapula). Perform the side and back of neck stretches and hold each stretch for 30 seconds.

4. Strengthen your upper back muscles (rhomboids and middle trapezius).  Perform the staggered stand cable row and the ball cobra exercises to strengthen weak back muscles.  Do 1-3 sets of 12-20 repetitions of each exercise with light weight.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AGrace Larrimore, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered

Neck pain is one of the leading issues I hear in yoga classes, often times even more so than lower back. Many people work at a desk all day sitting hunching over a computer, or driving in traffic exhausted after a long day. Some, have actually injured their necks due to an accident, or slept on a pillow wrong. There are many thousands of ways neck pain can creep into our lives, and once it’s present, it’s a constant reminder that it’s there.

I have Great news though! Neck pain can be released! Being an energy healer, I often see clients that first come to me about physical ailments. As we dive deeper, we learn that it is often an energetic imbalance or pattern that the client is holding unto that is causing the physical issues. Most often than not, if a client is coming to me about neck pain, my first question to them is what is the one situation or person in their life that currently is "a pain in the neck". After the initial laugh, they realize someone/or some situation instantly popped in their mind when I asked them that. That is where we start!

I like to think of our bodies as a canvas of communication. Our physical bodies cannot use words to ourselves to describe what’s going on, so instead, our bodies use physical ailments and emotions that describe the pain to let us know what’s wrong. We often don’t quiet ourselves long enough to listen to what’s going on internally. For example, if a client’s answer is it’s a new job that is leaving them feeling overwhelmed and stressed to the max, I will then ask them where they are feeling the neck pain. They usually will describe the pain as heavy and aching and that it travels down into the shoulder area as well. Often times, in this case, the client is feeling overwhelmed and is having a hard time "bearing the weight of the world on their shoulders" or "taking on too much that they can hold".

By the client describing the emotions of the pain, letting me know where the pain is within the neck, and what’s currently going on in their lives, are all contributors to releasing neck pain. At that point, we do a few energy work sessions addressing the above realizations, clearing the patterns out of the physical body, reprograming the energetic body to feel capable and confident, and clients often feel great results! Energy work and yoga are amazing tools to help combat neck pain.

If you'd love more information please feel free to connect to me on my page. I will also be posting some yoga videos to help with neck pain.

• ARick Olderman, Physical Therapy, answered

Neck pain is usually due to three problems: 1. problems with the shoulder complex, 2. the shape of the thoracic spine and consequently the cervical spine, and 3. problems in how the head moves. Let’s briefly talk about each of these.

How Your Shoulders Create Neck Pain

The shoulder girdle is unique in the body because it is a floating system held in place by muscular control. With respect to neck pain, two of these muscles connect directly from the shoulder blade to the cervical spine as well as base of the skull. When muscles controlling the shoulders are not functioning properly, stress is delivered to the neck along these attachments. Consequently neck pain ensues due to excessive compression, sidebending, or rotation of the vertebrae. Because one of these muscles also connects to the base of the skull, the head will also rest or move incorrectly, affecting the muscles traveling from the cervical spine to the skull.

The Shape of Your Spine

A second major stressor to the neck is the shape of your spine. Most people have a normal curve to their upper thoracic spine. However there is a lot of variability to this. Some people have rounder thoracic spines and some have flatter. Both extremes affect the curvature of the cervical spine. When the curve of the spine is affected, it changes how we move the neck for instance when we turn to look over our shoulder or look down to our chest. This causes irritation to tissues within the neck creating pain and headaches as well.

How Does Head Movement Create Neck Pain

Finally, there is variation in how people move their heads when nodding and looking over their shoulder. Again, this is often linked to the shape of the spine and the pull of the shoulder girdle on the neck and head. Subtle changes in how you move your head can have an enormous impact on the function of the cervical spine and therefore pain.

How to Stop Neck Pain & Headaches

In my experience, addressing the shoulder complex is often the largest culprit of the three issues. Easy things to do would be to raise the armrests of your chairs so your arms are resting higher and therefore your shoulder complex is supported. This will take an enormous burden off the neck and head. When at home watching TV, get out some pillows to rest the arms, again unloading the neck. 

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Posture is a driver for many injuries and a lot of discomfort that we have today. Whether it is how someone sits at work, whether it is how they sit in their car, or the position that they are in when they watch television or on their computer, but eventually our body slouches forward and our head falls further and further and further forward. This puts a lot of strain on the muscles and the tissues around the neck and can lead to soreness and discomfort. So if we come back to posture, working on doing some stretching or flexibility technique for the hip flexors, the chest latissimus muscle, working on some basic meditation techniques, some deep breathing techniques when we are lying on the ground or on a table or floor or mat where our neck can relax can be something that can be helpful. Doing some basic flexibility techniques for some of the muscles around the neck and just being very aware of the position that we are in. One thing that you can try as well is you can try to pull the chin towards the body, just gently, and gently press the tongue to the roof of your mouth, it will help to strengthen some of those smaller stabilizer muscles around the neck. Visualize a string on the top of your head gently pulling straight up in the air. So you should be up tall as often as possible, practicing flexibility techniques on a daily basis, and paying extra good attention to your posture and body mechanics for neck pain. Feel free if it persists to see a licensed healthcare practitioner to help make sure there is not a more serious injury. Massage therapy can help reduce pain, but attention to posture and regular stretching and strengthening exercises are a must.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
Why is my neck very stiff if I have been experiencing shoulder pain?