Question

Naturopathy

What kind of medications do naturopaths prescribe?

• Naturopathy is about healing your body naturally. Naturopaths prefer to treat you with dietary changes, vitamin and mineral supplements, and herbal medicines. They will also suggest homeopathic remedies, which are derived from natural substances. Acupuncture, massage, and other forms of treatment are sometimes used in place of prescription drugs. They will suggest various lifestyle changes, such as exercise, rather than provide a chemical substance.

• AChristopher Maloney, ND, Naturopathic Medicine, answered

While it is generally true that N.D.s prefer alternative prescriptions, many have extensive drug prescribing ability.

The prescriptive authority of licensed N.D.s varies by state and province. In many states N.D.s can prescribe many of the same drugs as an M.D., as well as perform minor surgery, deliver children, or manage end of life care.

Be sure to check with your state's licensing board to find out what your N.D. is able to prescribe for you.

Should I ask my family doctor for a referral to a naturopath?