Question

Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

How can I help someone with MS-related aphasia order food at a restaurant?

• While a person with aphasia retains intellect, his or her ability to read, write, understand spoken and written language, and speak or find words when communicating is impaired.

When dining out, allow the person with aphasia to do as much of their own ordering as possible. Try to get the restaurant menu before your outing so that you can slowly go over it together. This strategy gives you and your loved one time to explore the different options -- "The entree comes with two side dishes, which ones would you like?"

Restaurants are often busy, and the person with aphasia may feel pressure to communicate with an unfamiliar person in a hurry. Another strategy is to ask your family member to point out the items he or she wants to order to the wait staff, or they could write out their order and hand it to the wait staff.
How can I communicate with a family member who has MS-related aphasia?