Question

Metabolism and Weight Loss

What foods can help me boost my metabolism?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Certain turbocharging foods have the best-quality nutrients that every metabolism can recognize—whether you are an apple body type, a pear, or something else. According to nutrition specialist Dr. Jeffrey Morrison, they are rich in essential fatty acids, nutrients, and spices that optimize metabolic rate. Bonus: Their effects are almost immediate!
    • Harissa: This is a metabolism-boosting spice blend of hot chilies, garlic, cumin, and coriander. Spices that “burn” provide an immediate metabolic boost. When foods heat the body, it is an indicator of the metabolic burn. Harissa is available at your supermarket, or you can buy all four ingredients separately and make your own blend; mix with olive oil to make its nutrients more available. All you need is 1/8 teaspoon per meal. Sprinkle it on everything from eggs to protein to vegetables.
    • Grapefruit: This fruit acts as a digestive assistant that breaks down proteins so that they are ready to be used more quickly. Grapefruit can also accelerate your body’s ability to break down fat. Have one grapefruit a day. Always eat the fruit instead of the juice. The sugar in grapefruit juice will have a negative effect on your metabolism. Eat grapefruit as you would an orange, toss it over a salad, or add directly to your plate as a side dish!
    • Jalapenos: These peppers contain capsaicin, the heat-producing substance that quickly increases metabolism. If you’re feeling brave and can tolerate spice, you can bite right into one for the most potent benefits. Removing the seeds will reduce the heat for those who are more sensitive. Pairing jalapenos with a little bit of dairy will also cut the spice. You can add them to omelets and other dishes. Heating them will not affect their metabolic effects.
    • Sardines: Fresh or canned, sardines are rich in both protein and the essential fatty acids that your body needs to tackle belly fat, as these fatty acids work to reduce inflammation. Put them on a pizza with a whole-grain crust. Half a can is one portion; try to incorporate sardines into three to four meals a week. Bonus: They are super-affordable!

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ALeo Galland, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Choose foods that give you the most flavor and nutritional value for the calories you consume. These foods are rich in one or more of the dietary elements that help your metabolism, such as vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Foods with appetite-satisfying flavor and lots of nutrition top the list, such as blueberries, tomatoes, ginger, onions, and fresh herbs.
  • What I consider to be your metabolism is your resting metabolic rate.  This rate is the amount of calories that your body burns to perform basic metabolic functions.  Just resting your body burns calories and in order to live your body needs fuel to function.

The release of energy at rest is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, the heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, intestine, sex organs, muscles, and skin.

Your body does not need fuel to maintain bodyfat (or very very little fuel) but it needs significantly more fuel to maintain muscle.  If your metabolism is dependant on burning extra calories for the above then the only one that can increase in size is your muscle.  So if you have more muscle your resting metabolic rate (i.e. metabolism) is increased because your body at rest has to expend more calories.

There are specific exercise and nutritional things that need to happen to increase lean muscle tissue but the pure fact is that your body will burn more calories at rest and require more food if you have more muscle tissue.

Muscle needs calories to function and maintain, fat does not.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AMark Hyman, MD, Functional Medicine, answered
    Dr. Mark Hyman - What foods can help me boost my metabolism?

Watch as functional Medicine Specialist and family physician Dr. Mark Hyman talks about the types of foods that can help boost metabolism.

Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • ADaniel Hsu, DAOM, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered
    These foods can help you boost your metabolism:

•   Grapefruit. Grapefruit can lower your body’s insulin; high levels of insulin can make you store extra fat.
    •   Green tea. Green tea has epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a healthy catechin that speeds up your body’s metabolism and burns more calories.
    •   Spicy peppers. The capcaisin found in spicy peppers causes your body to burn calories long after you eat them.
    •   Cinnamon. A powerful herb in Chinese medicine. Cinnamon can help you maintain steady blood sugar levels as well as help lower your cholesterol.
    •   Broccoli. Broccoli contains two effective ingredients to help boost the metabolism: calcium and vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body absorb more calcium, which in turn acts as a metabolic trigger.
    Helpful? 6 people found this helpful.
How do I increase my metabolism?