If you have three or more of the following factors, you have the metabolic syndrome:
- Large waist measurement—35 inches or more for women,
- 40 inches or more for men (this is also one of the measurements that determine if you need to lose weight)
- Triglyceride level of 150 mg/dL or higher
- HDL cholesterol of less than 50 mg/dL in women, less than 40 mg/dL in men
- Blood pressure of 130/85 mmHg or higher (either number counts as a raised blood pressure)
- Fasting blood sugar of 100 mg/dL or higher
Lifestyle changes are the main treatment for metabolic syndrome. Following a program like Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) can help you reverse or reduce all of the metabolic syndrome's risk factors, which will reduce your risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.
Your first goal is to move toward getting your low-density lipoprotein (LDL) under control. Then you'll focus on the risk factors of the metabolic syndrome.
This answer from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. Robert S. Kaufmann.
More Answers from Robert S Kaufmann