- Q Should I talk to my doctor about my inherited metabolic disorder symptoms?
Because the symptoms of inherited metabolic disorders are similar to those of many other conditions and diseases, diagnosis is difficult. In many cases, children and adults with inherited metabolic disorders have been misdiagnosed with another condition... Full Answer
- Q If I have family with an inherited metabolic disorder, should I be tested?
Inherited metabolic disorders are the result of a gene mutation. They occur when a genetic defect affects certain enzymes in the body that are necessary to break down food. In most cases, both parents must carry the metabolic gene defect to pass a... Full Answer
- Q What conditions are inherited metabolic disorders often mistaken for?
Because there are thousands of metabolic disorders and the symptoms resemble that of many other conditions, diagnosis can be difficult. While doctors do test for many metabolic disorders during routine screenings right after a baby is born, some... Full Answer
- Q What are the symptoms of inherited metabolic disorders?
In most cases, inherited metabolic disorders are found during routine tests and examinations done right after a child is born. However, children and adults who unknowingly have a metabolic disorder may have symptoms such as developmental disabilities,... Full Answer
- Q How do inherited metabolic disorders affect children and adults?
For the most part, inherited metabolic disorders affect adults and children in much the same way. However, early diagnosis and treatment is an important part of managing and controlling many metabolic disorders. Children with metabolic disorders may have... Full Answer
- Q What inherited metabolic disorders do doctors screen for at birth?
In many cases, early diagnosis and treatment is the key to managing inherited metabolic disorders and minimizing their affects on the body. Especially for metabolic disorders in which the symptoms begin early, babies commonly receive routine screenings... Full Answer
- Q What are some complications of inherited metabolic disorders?
In most cases, inherited metabolic disorders are found during routine tests and examinations done right after a child is born. In these cases, early treatment can help to minimize any complications from the disorder. However, children and adults who... Full Answer
- Q How can physical therapy help with an inherited metabolic disorder?
Some inherited metabolic disorders target the muscles and nerves, such as Forbes' disease or McArdle's disease. In conjunction with other treatments like a special diet, physical therapy may also be effective in minimizing symptoms of the disorder.... Full Answer
- Q Is there a cure for inherited metabolic disorders?
There is no cure for inherited metabolic disorders. However, in many cases, there are treatment options available to help manage and control the disorder, especially if it is caught earlier. Many people with inherited metabolic disorders find that... Full Answer
- Q What are the treatment options for inherited metabolic disorders?
Treatment for inherited metabolic disorders depends on several factors, including the type and severity of the disorder and the overall health and condition of the patient. In many cases, a special diet and vitamins can control the disorder, as can... Full Answer