Grandparents can provide many important benefits to a child. They can be a source of love, affection and encouragement. This helps a child learn trust.
- Give the gift of time and undivided attention. That means doing something the child wants to do and at the child’s pace.
- Teach skills and let the child try new things. Grandparents are often willing to let a child “help” with a task.
- Act as a cheerleader for the child, praising and celebrating achievements both big and small.
- Provide an important link to family history. They tell stories about other generations and what a parent was like as a child. This gives the child a sense of identity and belonging.
- Offer older children advice and explain ways to meet life’s challenges.