Question

Parenting in Troubled Times

How can I help my child’s brain develop?

• ACharles Sophy, Psychiatry, answered

There is mounting evidence that early experiences can dramatically alter the way genes are expressed in the developing brain. Good experiences help any brain develop well.

Experts agree on the 10 top experiences needed for your child’s brain to develop and thrive:

• Interaction
    • Touch
    • Stable relationship
    • Safe, healthy environment
    • Self-esteem
    • Quality care
    • Communication
    • Play
    • Music
    • Reading
  • ARealAge answered

You, along with the other caregivers in you child’s life, provide the stimulation that is essential for growth. By talking to your children, singing to them, and reading to them, connections develop within the brain and become stronger with time and repetition. That’s why young children love to hear the same song or the same story over and over and over again.

Exasperating to the parents? Yes. Important for your child’s cognitive development? Absolutely! So, take a deep breath, and get ready to sing “Wheels on the Bus” for the 15th time, not only because your baby loves to hear your voice, but because it’s helping her brain grow.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

How can I help my gifted child fit in with other kids?