While guys are living longer (cool!), we're also breaking more bones as we age (not cool). Time to go on the defensive: Bone density scans shouldn't be optional for men with risk factors, especially after age 60 or so. Low testosterone can take a toll on your bone density. So can these other osteoporosis risk factors. See your doc if any of these describes you:
- You've been a smoker or have more than one drink a day.
- You've had an eating disorder or are very thin.
- You've spent most of your life sitting.
- You've taken bone-draining meds, such as steroids, SSRI antidepressants, and acid blockers.
- You have hyperthyroidism, Crohn's, Cushing's, or celiac disease.