Question

Menopause

Will menopause affect my diabetes?

• Diabetes is a function of insulin resistance or insulin production, neither of which are affected by menopause. However, menopause is associated with changes in cholesterol levels. This, combined with the inherent health risks of diabetes, increases the risk of cardiovascular disease after menopause.
  • Menopause can throw your diabetes management plan out of balance. That’s because you may have learned to adjust your plan around your normal hormonal fluctuations. The hormones that keep your menstrual cycle going -- estrogen and progesterone -- can also affect blood glucose levels.

In some women, high levels of progesterone and other progestin hormones may decrease the body’s sensitivity to insulin. High ­levels of estrogen tend to improve insulin sensitivity. As you start the transition of menopause, you’ll want to pay close attention to the effects it will have on your blood glucose ­levels.
What can I do to stay healthy during menopause?